I have a confession. See those Playground fabrics up there? Ya, I got them in August and have just now completed two projects with them. I feel like there’s maybe some sort of quilters jail I should be put in, then again us quilters are famous for our WIP’s (work in progress) so maybe I am finally just your average maker with a pile of half made projects. Don’t worry though; they have been pet and played with plenty and ever so slowly turned into something sweet.
First up, the I Spy print reminded me so much of my three boys at play in our yard that I knew almost immediately what I wanted to make with it.
A little portrait wall hanging for our home, complete with matching linen, hand stitching, and sewing illustration name tags. My boys are ages 9, 5, and 3 and they look VERY similar to these pictures, so much so that my middle son asked how we got their pictures on to the fabric.
My sewing illustration cursive is a lot like my cursive hand writing: messy. But, I tried my best and got better as I went. It’s no joke sewing tiny words with a sewing machine!
See, better already! I used Aurifil thread 2745 in a dark inky blue color going over the letters twice with the 50 weight thread. The blue hand stitching is a double strand of color 2815 in 28 weight which I need to order more of.
And Zachary. My hand stitching was so rusty when I first started this little project that I had to use a piece of washi tape just to stitch a straight line next to. Fortunately, creativity seems to be like riding a bike and with a little bit of patience and practice it comes back.
Next up I made a pillow to match.
I used the blue colorway and added some Art Gallery Denim in Indigo Shadow which matched pretty perfectly. This block is one I used over the summer for a QAYG quilt I made for Lecien which can be found here. It was a lot of fun doing a small “quilt as you go” pillow and I just love how it turned out. There’s where all my Aurifil blue thread went! All that quilting!
These colors are just so striking. I think I need to make one with the pinks next. The back is a Paperie print with an envelope closure and I managed to stuff a 16 inch pillow form into it which is a snug fit but will work fine.
So there! It may have taken four months, but I finally have a cute finished bit of handmade goodness for our home. And that’s always worth the wait.